Licensing agreements are one of the most important legal documents for creatives and the improper use of a license could amount infringement and can be pretty costly. They work both ways; to help creatives maintain control over their work, and to help consumers understand the permitted use of your creative work.
In this episode, I talk about what creatives need to consider when creating a licensing agreement for their work and what consumers need to pay attention too when purchasing work that is licensed.
As a consumer of licensed products, you want to consider the following:
- locate and READ the license
- determine if it’s for commercial or personal use
- How many times are you permitted to use the licensed work?
- Can you use in a product that you’re giving away? Or selling?
As a creator of licensed products, you want to consider the following:
- You license agreement MUST BE CLEAR!
- What kind of license do you want to give?
- What parameters do you want to put on the use?
- How will you monitor and enforce those parameters
- Will you create extended v. limited use license? What will be the difference in cost?
Check out the full episode to learn more about how to use and understand licensing agreements.
The Inksecure podcast is sponsored by Creative Genius Law. At CGL we provide creatives and entrepreneurs with the highest quality representation at all stages of their business.
If you’re in the process of starting a new business or launching a new product, we encourage you to sign up for our FREE masterclass, Select and Protect: How to Select a Brand Name That You Can Legally Own as a Trademark.
If you need help better understanding how you can monetize your creative work while maintaining control, we can help with that. CLICK HEREto set up a time to speak with us.